Thursday

Yeyesyeysyeys, my feedback was quite good today so that was nice. I think I misunderstood a bit how they weren't meant to look like each other, so that's something that I would change if I could. I made them all as collages which maybe wasn't the best idea because that's the main thing that made them all look a like.

We're onto image as type now, WHICH I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT. I hope it wasn't one of those things I get all crazy excited about in the first few days then loose all interest in, but that's the really good thing about this module because we only have a week to do something then you sort of don't have the time to loose interest in things. I like the pace of it. Also, it's a wonderful half way point for me because I realised that type isn't my strong point, and I'm not happy with that but the idea of taking the hardcore typography module scared me a bit. So yeah, this is a good opportunity to do type but in a better approach for me.

We had to choose three quotes from each article from the guardian magazine. I picked:

1. 'to the moon and back' 

Just because the visuals are nice with this one and I have a bit of a thing for space and nebulae and the moon. Also I'm really into purple as a colour at the minute, like deep deep purple with quite a thin opacity and I think that's quite appropriate for the quote. Also, the article's tone of voice is kind of serious but with a few hints of creative writing in there. Blue is normally the colour you associate with a serious subject - think banks, O2, facebook. The colour is regimented and serious, but the article isn't quite serious enough for blue. So purple is a bit of a compromise on that one.

2. 'do you have a question?'

I chose this because in terms of impact, a question, command or statement is more powerful than just a collection of words (like my first quote). I think it's a really lovely quote, it can be applied to anyone, I'm sure everyone wants the answer to something. It was chosen from the doctor, doctor article which is serious and reassuring at the same time. I think that fits in with the quote, you can tell it was written with a kind tone of voice. It's a comforting thing to hear in most cases, someone wanting to know if they can help you. I'm not sure on the visuals to accompany this. 
3. 'frankly, I think that can wait'

I just love the idea of this being something outside our studio, probably not the laid-back message the course wants to project to potential students, visitors, or even current students. But the idea of walking out into the corridor after a hard day of being a design slave to look up and see that confident 'nah, you don't have to do those worksheets tonight!' is a funny thought. Alternatively, you could read it as 'put that nice cold beer down, it can wait, get back to those worksheets' kind of thing. I think that double edged meaning is great, because it changes depending on the individual reader and what frame of mind they are in at the time. This is my favourite quote. I have a few rough ideas of visuals, I want it to be huge and bold and confident, because it really echoes the quote. Worryingly, the context in which is was written isn't like that so I'm worried it won't work/not be appropriate. I'll do a few experiments and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment